couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use Influitive to help with marketing
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 15:33:00 GMT
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 6 October 2013 16:57, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How does it works on practice (yes, I had watch the videos) and how it
> > will change/improve current state of things?
> >

> There will be a site you can go to to view the current challenges, and you
> can work on them. Sort of like how you can go to JIRA, and find tickets to
> work on. The challenges can be created by the community. It's our way of
> saying "hey, if you love CouchDB and you want to help us out, these are
> some of the things you could do."
>
> The current state of things is that nothing very much happens. There is
> practically no marketing activity, and no co-ordinated attempts to promote
> CouchDB. So any sort of improvement or organisation here would be a good
> thing.
>

> > P.S. I feel that I had read post as "Do X for reward, not because you
> > likes/uses/develops/____ (fill the other) CouchDB". Am I wrong?
> >

> This isn't about bribing people to do things. If you're not interested in
> CouchDB, don't take part.
>
> Influtive is a way for people who are already very passionate about CouchDB
> to co-ordinate with each other and work towards goals that provide a
> meaningful benefit to the project.

Hrm this seems a little rude. What about people very passionate and
interested in couchdb that don't want to be part of such system?

> The rewards system is our way of thanking them for helping out. And as I
> mention, can be as simple as them earning points in Influtive, and us
> giving them the occasional shout-out.

This system is quite odd and artificial. Why do we need to use a carrot to
encourage someone already passionate? Plus, who will choose these items?

Why not simply having a TODO list, aka roadmap in which people can simply
pick an item on which  they think they can can help? Using the mail, ml,
and irc then people could coordinate themselves around the item and let
other they are working on.

- benoƮt