couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] tag our commits
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:07:16 GMT
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There is no worry about since it's standard feature for git and
>>> supported by gitweb and github[1] as well.
>>
>> How about the IRC bots? And the email messages (both commit
>> notifications and PR notifications)?
>
> Hm..let's try to figure their support status(: I suppose nobody mind
> if I push one commit with notes?

Ok, there are three problems with notes:
1. Additional commit event without explicit association with related commit
2. GitWeb and GitHub doesn't[1][2] show any notices. However, if you
push notes to GitHub repo - it will
3. You should fetch notices in additional to regular clone/pull command

They are looks fine for automatic assignment build status, bug-id,
making notes on commit like postfactum review, forward references or
something else, but probably not for our case: tagging each commit
with affected component(s).

On other hand, tags inside commit message looks more weird[3] since
not everyone may follow this convention. These tags couldn't be
changed without editing commit message, so it will be easy to create
duplicate tags like [doc], [docs], [man], [manual] or [futon],
[fauxton], [webui], [ui]. Also,
the perfect spherical commit in a vacuum should contains multiple
tags: docs, tests, affected component - with limitation of 54 chars
for first commit line tags would eat a lot of space, making left short
description useless.

The solution I see quite simple: commit as we doing now. Additionally,
setup some bot that will "tag" our commits with notes (hi, ASFBot!) -
it should be easy since each component has his own path prefix (docs
is in share/docs, tests are in tests/, replicator is in
src/couch_replicator etc.) so we'll be free from this manual work. The
only things we need to do, is update .git/config file with fetch =
+refs/notes/*:refs/notes/* to getting notes from server without
execution of additional git command.

Thoughts?

[1]: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=commit;h=7fe76c9
[2]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/7fe76c9