couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: start translation of the docs into German language
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:01:45 GMT
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
> On 18 October 2013 01:25, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > a. Here you can find a workflow description of translations with Sphinx
>> >
>> > http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
>> >
>> > Do we also want the process of generation .pot and .po files to enable
>> > translators using a tool (e.g. http://www.poedit.net/) or using pootle
>> > translate in the specific language?
>>
>> I think .pot and .po files should be generated and let translators use
>> tools they like. Pootle is good service to keep pulse on whole
>> translation state.
>>

> yep!
>

>> > b. I found two examples for multilingual documentation of projects
>> >
>> > (1) https://github.com/alchemy-fr/Phraseanet-Docs (short description:
>> > http://lickmychip.com/2011/11/28/multilingual-documentation-with-sphinx/
>> )
>> >
>> > (2)
>> >
>> http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-multi-language-documentation-with-sphinx
>> >
>> > Both approaches are using a directory structure, where the different docs
>> > are located in a folder like en, de, es and so on. each folder has it's
>> own
>> > conf.py and a all.py in a conf directory for Shpinx. I think this is the
>> > way how it should be done.
>>
>> This approach looks simple in setup, but hell in support - we'll get
>> different docs content for each language which will only confuse
>> people and force them prefer "default language"  version.
>>

> this is a good point and from the organizational point of view I agree. But
> at this point I don't know
> how this can be avoided technically. I have to dig deeper into Sphinx and
> check how
> it is possible to have one source but many different translations of it.

I have follow Sphinx guide:
http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
and it was very-very trivial. But next issues are need to be solved:

1) Improve .po files generation to embed into them license header and
correct meta information
2) Suggested sphinx-intl tool has integration with Transifex service.
We need to change this for ASF Pootie one.
3) Improve Makefiles to generate all the docs for all the languages with easy

Don't worry about Python's bits. I'll take care about them.

http://readthedocs.org/ - sphinx docs hosting service.
http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/ is actually alias to couchdb.readthedocs.org/

> Moving the documentation out of CouchDB is not the question. The question
> is "where" to generate it. And the place where this has to be done is in the source of
> the project and has to be bound to the release cycle.

We have good guy Jankins that helps us with that! (:

--