couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Octavian Damiean <odami...@linux.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use Influitive to help with marketing
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 19:19:48 GMT
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Octavian Damiean <odamiean@linux.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hrm this seems a little rude. What about people very passionate and
> > > interested in couchdb that don't want to be part of such system?
> >

> > I don't quite understand this question. Nothing I guess, they keep doing
> > what they do.
> >

> The question is related to:
>
> """This isn't about bribing people to do things. If you're not interested
> in
> CouchDB, don't take part.
> """

​Well, that's also your answer.​

> > > This system is quite odd and artificial. Why do we need to use a carrot
> > > encourage someone already passionate? Plus, who will choose these
> items?
> > >
> > > Why not simply having a TODO list, aka roadmap in which people can
> simply
> > > pick an item on which  they think they can can help? Using the mail,
> ml,
> > > and irc then people could coordinate themselves around the item and let
> > > other they are working on.
> > >

> > It's about bringing new people to the table, not solely about getting the
> > already contributing member to contribute more. At least that's how I
> > understand it.
> >

> New people will come if they are interested to. Coming for the carrot is
> not really healthy imo.
>
> - benoit

​Well, that's how people work.​ The system is proven, it's something from
the gaming world and transitioned over to other parts of our life. Take
Stack Exchange for example, the system works. It is a completely community
maintained network (in case you are wondering, StackOverflow.com is part of
that network).

You don't have to see it as bribing someone to do something but as an extra
reward for people that do something. Of course everyone should be rewarded
in one or another way, but that's exactly the point of the system Noah told
us about.

--
Octavian Damiean

GitHub: https://github.com/mainerror