couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: start translation of the docs into German language
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:01:22 GMT
Alex, Dave,

thanks for the input. I have some further comments ...

On 12 October 2013 17:43, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote

> >I think this is good idea, but it worth only if localized version(s)
> >will be synchronized with English one and be always up-to-dated. There
> >is nothing worst that outdated docs(:

yes this is true! I have two ideas about this. First I suggest to create a
new list called translation@couchdb.apache.org and find a good place for
information how to do translations and how to participate. What is needed
also is a status how far the translations in the different languages are
(simple table with red, orange, green is good enough). Missing translations
of the documentation MUST not stop a release but it SHOULD be the target to
have everything in sync.

Secondly, a good process is needed here. If the docs in English have been
changed, a push notification to the list should be send so that the
translators can translate the changed parts.

These are just first thoughts though ...

> >For localization process it's better to follow Sphinx guide about:
> >http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> >This approach is different from CouchDB: The Definition Guide, but
> >much more friendly and common for translators.

PostgreSQL is also using gettext and .po files. Yes, this is a  common way
for translators in a project.

>  >To compile whole documentation just:
> >git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git
> >cd couchdb
> >./bootstrap && ./configure
> >cd share/doc
> >make html
> >open in browser build/html/index.html file

Thanks - cool!

>  >Note, that following internationalization guide will require modify a
> >bit Makefile.

This is what Dave is discussing below I think ...

>  >--
> >,,,^..^,,,
>

> Thanks Andy
>
> +1 to Alex's comments, this sounds like a great idea!
>
> I am hoping some of the other project members have some experience on
> actually doing this, as I don't. I can suggest you look through
>
> - the current contribution steps:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/contributing.rst

I did that ...

> - how sphinx is configured:
>
>     http://sphinx-doc.org/config.html
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/conf.py
>
> - and built within couchdb:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/build/Makefile.am
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/DEVELOPERS
>
> Unless somebody else in the community has i8ln experience, I'd suggest
> doing some research to see how other projects handle this. I bet the python
> community has some best practice examples to share.

Unfortunately I do not have experience either. So I am hoping that this
post will encourage more people to write their ideas. I will have a deeper
look into Sphinx and see if I can figure out a good way to integrate the
I18n into couchdb (but I think I need some help ...).

> A+
> Dave

looking forward for more ;-)

Andy