couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: start translation of the docs into German language
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:21:10 GMT
On 18 October 2013 15:01, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

> Sphinx

> pootle
> >>
> >> I think .pot and .po files should be generated and let translators use
> >> tools they like. Pootle is good service to keep pulse on whole
> >> translation state.
> >>

> > yep!

> http://lickmychip.com/2011/11/28/multilingual-documentation-with-sphinx/
> >> )

> http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-multi-language-documentation-with-sphinx

> docs
> it's
> >> own
> the
> >>
> >> This approach looks simple in setup, but hell in support - we'll get
> >> different docs content for each language which will only confuse
> >> people and force them prefer "default language"  version.
> >>

> > this is a good point and from the organizational point of view I agree.
> But
> > at this point I don't know
> > how this can be avoided technically. I have to dig deeper into Sphinx and
> > check how
> > it is possible to have one source but many different translations of it.
>
> I have follow Sphinx guide:
> http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> and it was very-very trivial. But next issues are need to be solved:
>
> 1) Improve .po files generation to embed into them license header and
> correct meta information
> 2) Suggested sphinx-intl tool has integration with Transifex service.
> We need to change this for ASF Pootie one.
> 3) Improve Makefiles to generate all the docs for all the languages with
> easy

great Alex ;-) Thank you. My next task is to also follow the guide. So
actually I am not sure what my part is now!? I think with some
time I can to do the above steps. In step 2) you mean pootle right?

 Don't worry about Python's bits. I'll take care about them.

nice ;-) - I think I can do that also but if you want do take this part no
problem ...

>> Also, there is a big problem with RTD service: it doesn't supports
> >> multilang docs even if he promotes url with explicitly defined
> >> language - we should move docs hosting to somewhere else (CouchDB
> >> itself is good host).
> >

> > what is RTD?
>
> http://readthedocs.org/ - sphinx docs hosting service.
> http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/ is actually alias to
> couchdb.readthedocs.org/

ah ok - thanks for the clarification!

> Moving the documentation out of CouchDB is not the question. The question
> > is "where" to generate it. And the place where this has to be done is in
> the source of
> > the project and has to be bound to the release cycle.
>
> We have good guy Jankins that helps us with that! (:

there is a Jenkins build server - did not know that.

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany