couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: start translation of the docs into German language
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:41:11 GMT
On 18 October 2013 01:25, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
> >
> > a. Here you can find a workflow description of translations with Sphinx
> >
> > http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> >
> > Do we also want the process of generation .pot and .po files to enable
> > translators using a tool (e.g. http://www.poedit.net/) or using pootle
> > translate in the specific language?
>
> I think .pot and .po files should be generated and let translators use
> tools they like. Pootle is good service to keep pulse on whole
> translation state.

yep!

> > b. I found two examples for multilingual documentation of projects
> >
> > (1) https://github.com/alchemy-fr/Phraseanet-Docs (short description:
> > http://lickmychip.com/2011/11/28/multilingual-documentation-with-sphinx/
> )
> >
> > (2)
> >
> http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-multi-language-documentation-with-sphinx
> >
> > Both approaches are using a directory structure, where the different docs
> > are located in a folder like en, de, es and so on. each folder has it's
> own
> > conf.py and a all.py in a conf directory for Shpinx. I think this is the
> > way how it should be done.
>
> This approach looks simple in setup, but hell in support - we'll get
> different docs content for each language which will only confuse
> people and force them prefer "default language"  version.

this is a good point and from the organizational point of view I agree. But
at this point I don't know
how this can be avoided technically. I have to dig deeper into Sphinx and
check how
it is possible to have one source but many different translations of it.

> Also, there is a big problem with RTD service: it doesn't supports
> multilang docs even if he promotes url with explicitly defined
> language - we should move docs hosting to somewhere else (CouchDB
> itself is good host).

what is RTD?

Moving the documentation out of CouchDB is not the question. The question
is "where" to
generate it. And the place where this has to be done is in the source of
the project and has to
be bound to the release cycle.

Any further ideas, thoughts on this?

--