couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: start translation of the docs into German language
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:32:27 GMT
On 12 October 2013 17:43, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:

> From: Alexander Shorin Alexander Shorin
> Reply: dev@couchdb.apache.org dev@couchdb.apache.org
> Date: 12. Oktober 2013 at 17:26:49
> To: dev@couchdb.apache.org dev@couchdb.apache.org
> Subject:  Re: start translation of the docs into German language
>

> >Hi Andy!
> >
> >I think this is good idea, but it worth only if localized version(s)
> >will be synchronized with English one and be always up-to-dated. There
> >is nothing worst that outdated docs(:
> >
> >For localization process it's better to follow Sphinx guide about:
> >http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> >This approach is different from CouchDB: The Definition Guide, but
> >much more friendly and common for translators.
> >
> >To compile whole documentation just:
> >git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git
> >cd couchdb
> >./bootstrap && ./configure
> >cd share/doc
> >make html
> >open in browser build/html/index.html file
> >
> >Note, that following internationalization guide will require modify a
> >bit Makefile.
> >--
> >,,,^..^,,,
>

> Thanks Andy
>
> +1 to Alex's comments, this sounds like a great idea!
>
> I am hoping some of the other project members have some experience on
> actually doing this, as I don't. I can suggest you look through
>
> - the current contribution steps:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/contributing.rst
>
> - how sphinx is configured:
>
>     http://sphinx-doc.org/config.html
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/conf.py
>
> - and built within couchdb:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/build/Makefile.am
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/DEVELOPERS
>
> Unless somebody else in the community has i8ln experience, I'd suggest
> doing some research to see how other projects handle this. I bet the python
> community has some best practice examples to share.
>
> A+
> Dave

I have started to have look at Sphinx and thinking about the integration of
L10n into CouchDB. Now here are two things I would like to get your ideas
on.

a. Here you can find a workflow description of translations with Sphinx

http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html

Do we also want the process of generation .pot and .po files to enable
translators using a tool (e.g. http://www.poedit.net/) or using pootle to
translate in the specific language?

b. I found two examples for multilingual documentation of projects

(1) https://github.com/alchemy-fr/Phraseanet-Docs (short description:
http://lickmychip.com/2011/11/28/multilingual-documentation-with-sphinx/)

(2)
http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-multi-language-documentation-with-sphinx

Both approaches are using a directory structure, where the different docs
are located in a folder like en, de, es and so on. each folder has it's own
conf.py and a all.py in a conf directory for Shpinx. I think this is the
way how it should be done.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

P.S.: When the L10n mailinglist is setup, I will move the discussion there
;-)

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany