couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Elixir Sandbox
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:02:31 GMT

On Oct 16, 2013, at 22:54 , Filippo Fadda <filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> Sandboxing is something optional I think, you need only when you are developing a CouchApp,
when you do all in JavaScript, using the _users database and running the app inside CouchDB.
But if you are just using CouchDB like a database, developing a web app using PHP or Python,
for example, you'll never give access to CouchDB from outside, through Futon for example,
so no one will be able to store a new design doc in your database to run malicious code. I'm
using PHP with the ElephantOnCouch Query Server, writing ddoc in PHP, and I really don't see
why I should using runkit to sandboxing the Query Server.

That was exactly my point. Thank you for making it more clear, Filippo :)

Best
Jan
--

> -Filippo
>
> On Oct 16, 2013, at 10:27 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> Another option would be to start with treating the Elexir Query Server
>> like the Erlang Query Server and keep it off by default and with full
>> access to the internals, so people could opt into it, if their environment
>> allows for it.
>>
>> Sandboxing could be a step on top or later.
>>
>> I for one would like to see native Elexir support for Views et.al in CouchDB :)
>>
>> Best
>> Jan
>> --
>>
>> On Oct 16, 2013, at 20:48 , Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There have been discussions on figuring out how to sandbox Erlang. The
>>> biggest thing on that front was that we'd want it to be a whitelist as
>>> opposed to a blacklist of modules and/or module/function pairs. The
>>> second is that with dynamic invocation its not immediately apparent if
>>> that's entirely possible to do.

see how such a library might prove useful to the CouchDB dev community.

environment with configurable modules disabled, returning all output. But I'd like to design
it for bigger things from the ground up, so I was wondering what sorts of requirements you
might have of a sandbox library if you wanted to, say, implement a secure view processor.

but I'm particularly interested in your opinions!