couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject make all this extra C optionnal
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:51:50 GMT
Hi,

I am thinking to make all this extra C optional in couchdb. By extra C I
mean:

- snappy compression
- couch compare function using ICU
- JS views
- JSON encoding

Basically anything that is not included in the erlang standard library or
not in Erlang. The reason for that is to allow a simple distribution on
different platforms or vms things like erlangonxen. Also it would improve a
lot the way we can upgrade a full release or change a module live.

First one is easy, the second I don't know I guess we can have a more
simpler binary comparison is possible or maybe better providing a pure
erlang implementation of it using ux [1] wich is probably enough faster for
our need (we only require to compare ids or keys).

We mostly have JS because it's easy to handle for an end-developer and also
trendy among some circles. But i think we could provide here another
default. That can be elixir [2] or lua using luerl module [3]. The second
one may be the easier since it is also provide for free the sandbox we are
supposed to have in JS. Not sure it is easy to do with elixir.

Thoughts?

- benoit

[1] https://github.com/erlang-unicode/ux
[2] http://elixir-lang.org/