couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Docs update
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:01:26 GMT
Alexander,

This is freakin fantastic! Thank you so much!

Some comments:

Filippo has a point. Let's have a dead simple section that covers how to
install CouchDB in binary form.

For OS X, we should recommend the official binary download. And for a more
advanced setup, we should recommend Homebrew. For Linux, let's list a few
common options. Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat, and so on. For Windows, we can
point to the official binary downloads.

Then, we can keep the existing content as a "how to install from source"
info. That info is still very valuable, and should not be removed. But most
users are going to want a "how to install in 30 seconds" guide. And for
that reason, the binary install methods take precedence.

MacPorts is a POS. We should completely avoid mentioning it. (Both in the
binary install section, and in the source install section.)

The CouchDB documentation should be removed from the wiki when we have
added it to the docs. We can put in redirects, or just replace the content
with a hyperlink that takes you to the correct part of the most recent
hosted documentation.

However: please remember that the wiki is not going anywhere. There is
still a whole bunch of content that is suitable for the wiki and not
suitable for the docs. Things to do with community management, release
management, marketing, and so on.

Alexander: again, this is looking so great! Thank you for driving this!

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater