couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: What's our Why?
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 12:03:08 GMT
On 24 July 2013 14:06, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Benoit,
> "Painless distributed systems" is also a step in the right direction for
> answering the question "why?"

+1 I like this.

> [...]
>> >
>> > Why
>> >
>> >     - What's your purpose?
>> >     - What's your cause?
>> >     - What's your belief?
>> >
>> > How
>> >
>> >     - How do we do it?
>> >     - How does our product differentiate?
>> >     - How are we different?
>> >     - How are we better?
>> >
>> > What
>> >
>> >     - What do we do?
>> >     - What do we make?
>> >
>> > He points out that the difference between companies like Apple and
>> > companies like Dell.
>> >
>> > Dell tells you what they do, and how. "We make great computers. They're
>> > well designed and work well. Wanna buy a computer?" Most companies do it
>> > like this. But they often miss out the "why".
>> >
>> > But then you look at Apple, and they do it the other way around. Apple
>> tell
>> > you what their purpose is. The rest is almost an afterthought. "We
>> believe
>> > in challenging the status quo. We believe in thinking different. We do
>> that
>> > with great design and a focus on the user experience. We just happen to
>> > make computers." He then joking quips: "Ready to buy one yet?"
>> >
>> > (His talk gives several other examples, with his thesis being that
>> telling
>> > your story from the outside in is what separates all the great companies
>> > and leaders. One of his main examples is the Wright brothers.)
>> >
>> > He comments that if you talk about what you believe, you will attract
>> those
>> > that believe what you believe. That when you talk about what you believe,
>> > people will join you for their own reasons, for their own purpose. And
>> that
>> > what you do simply serves as proof of what you believe. Or as he quips:
>> > "Martin Luther King gave his 'I have a dream' speech, not his 'i have a
>> > plan' speech."
>> >
>> > Why am I bringing this to the dev list?
>> >
>> > Because our message stinks. "Apache CouchDB™ is a database that uses JSON
>> > for documents, JavaScript for MapReduce queries, and regular HTTP for an
>> > API" is a terrible way to introduce who we are, what we stand for, and
>> why
>> > we build this thing. (And I'm allowed to say all that, because I'm the
>> one
>> > who wrote it, with lots of help from Jan.)
>> >
>> > So what am I proposing? I'm proposing that we figure out our why. That we
>> > figure out what we stand for, what we believe in. And then we figure out
>> > how we're gonna do that (pro tip: replication is more important than the
>> > data format we use). Not only will this define a consistent internal
>> vision
>> > for the project (what *are* we working towards anyway?) but it will help
>> us
>> > to attract people who believe in what we believe.
>> >
>> > So, if you have any thoughts about this, speak up!

Somewhat belated but here's my 2c.

I got started with couchdb because the thing I wanted to do *did* need
simple & reliable web/html access, didn't need middleware, didn't need
a complex sql setup. It fit a document style db very well and in the
end the company I worked for decided to use sharepoint (go figure) so
I left them and stayed with couchdb of course.

TL;DR replication + JSON + HTML makes some things *very* easy. And the
API behind it means that scaling up/out/down is trivial, compared to
other solutions.