couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB crashing at random times
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:31:52 GMT
cc dev@

FWIW, I have seen CouchDB crash with variations of either a database not
being “fully” created when trying to delete it again, or trying to create
a database that should have been deleted but is somehow still around. I
could never find a source reason for that, but these seem to surface in
test suites more than real life application code.

Some of the ephemeral failures in the test suites are of this nature
as well (which ones elude me at the moment (which reminds me, we should
really keep track of them in JIRA, I’ll add them when I get to to it,
if no one beats me to it)).

I had created an etap test* in the past to see if it surfaces anything,
but I can’t get it fail. We should see if we can expand this and have it
go through HTTP.

* https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/test/etap/077-couch-db-fast-db-delete-create.t

If memory serves correctly, I did a bit of a dive into the internals
with Bob on IRC once but couldn’t find anything conclusive other than
“maybe a race condition in couch_server or in the interaction of
couch_server and couch_httpd*” or “wonky file descriptors”.

Best
Jan