couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "ASF IRC Services" <asf...@wilderness.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC meeting in #couchdb-meeting, Wed Aug 14 19:04:26 2013
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:49:10 GMT
Members present: jan____, deathbear, dybskiy_, Wohali, tilgovi, chewbranca, Kxepal

----------------
Meeting summary:
----------------

1. Preface

2. Welcome deathbear
  a. all welcome new CouchDB committee: deathbear also known as Sue (Kxepal, 2)

3. 1.4.0 release status

4. CouchDB conf at Vancouver
  a. http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg27261.html (Kxepal, 4)
  b. http://conf.couchdb.org/#cfs (Kxepal, 4)
  c. everyone welcome! if you have a topic for this conf, signup at http://conf.couchdb.org/#cfs
(Kxepal, 4)
  d. everyone map all the people to the conf, but don't reduce them (: (Kxepal, 4)
  e. https://tito.io/couchdb/vancouver-2013 (dybskiy_, 4)

5. wiki migration

6. CouchDB conf at Vancouver
  a. for any questions ping Jan or Dybskiy (yuriy@cloudant.com) (Kxepal, 6)

7. wiki migration
  a. http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg27201.html (Kxepal, 7)
  b. everyone help findout good and actual wiki articles to migrate to the new wiki or to
docs, depending on their content (Kxepal, 7)

8. CouchDB Plugins
  a. http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg26238.html (Kxepal, 8)


--------
Actions:
--------
- all welcome new CouchDB committee: deathbear also known as Sue (Kxepal, 19:06:01)
- everyone welcome! if you have a topic for this conf, signup at http://conf.couchdb.org/#cfs
(Kxepal, 19:12:23)
- everyone map all the people to the conf, but don't reduce them (: (Kxepal, 19:14:33)
- for any questions ping Jan or Dybskiy (yuriy@cloudant.com) (Kxepal, 19:20:57)
- everyone help findout good and actual wiki articles to migrate to the new wiki or to docs,
depending on their content (Kxepal, 19:22:34)

IRC log follows:


# 1. Preface #
19:05:16 [Kxepal]: topics for today: Welcome deathbear, 1.4.0 release status, CouchDB Conf
at Vancouver, Wiki migration, Plugins


# 2. Welcome deathbear #
19:05:38 [deathbear]: Hi. I feel welcomed :) 
19:05:46 [chewbranca]: ACTION waves
19:05:46 [chewbranca]: congrats deathbear!
19:05:49 [jan____]: Woohoo, welcome deathbear! :) thanks for all your hard work making fauxton
awesome!
19:06:01 [Kxepal]: #action all welcome new CouchDB committee: deathbear also known as Sue
19:06:08 [Kxepal]: deathbea, horray!(:
19:06:34 [dybskiy_]: kudos to deathbear!
19:06:38 [Wohali]: congrats bear


# 3. 1.4.0 release status #
19:09:54 [Kxepal]: just to note that everything is ok, we'll waiting for Dirkjan from vacations
on this week to finish things and start voting for it. stay tuned!
19:10:09 [jan____]: we are ready to roll, but djc is on vacation until next week, so unless
one of the other RMs has the time, 1.4.0 will start rolling next week
19:10:17 [jan____]: Kxepal: heh *highfive* :)
19:10:23 [Kxepal]: jan____: (:


# 4. CouchDB conf at Vancouver #
19:10:54 [Kxepal]: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg27261.html
19:11:23 [dybskiy_]: Call for speakers is now open at http://conf.couchdb.org/#cfs
19:11:31 [jan____]: wooohoo another CouchDB conf!
19:11:53 [Kxepal]: #link http://conf.couchdb.org/#cfs
19:12:23 [Kxepal]: #action everyone welcome! if you have a topic for this conf, signup at
http://conf.couchdb.org/#cfs
19:13:33 [jan____]: also, a bit of a call to action for everyone: we want to make sure this
is going to be a hit, so we have good number of tickets to sell, if you can help spreading
the word, please do not hesitate :)
19:14:33 [dybskiy_]: I think one priority is announce a handful of confirmed speakers as soon
as possible
19:14:33 [Kxepal]: #action everyone map all the people to the conf, but don't reduce them
(:
19:15:28 [jan____]: ahaha
19:15:29 [jan____]: :D
19:16:06 [dybskiy_]: Early bird tickets will be on sale soon, for now one can register interest
here: https://tito.io/couchdb/vancouver-2013
19:16:08 [jan____]: also, if you think you should give a talk and aren’t really sure, please
talk to dybskiy_ or me for some coaching :)
19:17:39 [dybskiy_]: #link https://tito.io/couchdb/vancouver-2013


# 5. wiki migration #


# 6. CouchDB conf at Vancouver #
19:20:57 [Kxepal]: #action for any questions ping Jan or Dybskiy (yuriy@cloudant.com)


# 7. wiki migration #
19:21:20 [Kxepal]: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg27201.html
19:21:26 [jan____]: Migrate that wiki!
19:21:48 [Kxepal]: TL;DR MoinMoin is slooow and we're going to migrate to Confluence wiki
19:22:11 [Wohali]: agree and i will help
19:22:34 [Kxepal]: #action everyone help findout good and actual wiki articles to migrate
to the new wiki or to docs, depending on their content
19:25:49 [Kxepal]: also if someone knows good tool to convert moin-moin markup into confluence
one - this would be very helpful!


# 8. CouchDB Plugins #
19:27:05 [Kxepal]: jan____: I have a question (:
19:27:18 [Kxepal]: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg26238.html
19:27:33 [jan____]: Kxepal: shoot
19:28:11 [Kxepal]: in short: while plugins are in active designing may be it's good time to
think about Wohali proposal and get CAPs into CouchDB before?
19:28:26 [Kxepal]: and strict plugins to announce their presence with caps feature
19:28:27 [jan____]: hm, dunno!
19:28:41 [Kxepal]: what do you think about?
19:29:26 [Kxepal]: in theory this should remove any probability to have two CouchDB plugins-powered
instances that aren't compatible with each other on API level
19:29:41 [Wohali]: i can see a couple of options
19:29:49 [jan____]: the only reason I could get plugins as far as I got them is to remove
anything that wasn’t essential
19:30:11 [jan____]: I think there is a bit more work that needs to be done before we can ship
plugins, but I don’t think CAPs are essential.
19:30:11 [Wohali]: a loewr-effort one would simply say that plugins necessarily must never
overlap in namespace
19:30:20 [jan____]: that said, if someone codes it all up and makes it easy to use, I won’t
block anything :)
19:30:21 [Wohali]: but that prevents drop-in replacements
19:31:41 [jan____]: another take on this would be a utility or API call that would allow users
to tell an instance to install all the plugins that another instance has installed, to get
them to feature parity
19:32:57 [Kxepal]: Wohali: overlaping base functionality, may be useful, but overlaping plugins
I think should raise an assertion about
19:33:18 [Kxepal]: jan____: CouchDB as adhoc plugins repository? wonderful!
19:33:57 [jan____]: Kxepal: well, not really, just something that reads /_cnofig/plugins and
applies them one by one on the target instance
19:34:18 [jan____]: so the plugins would still come from the same remote registry, not p2p
between couches
19:34:20 [jan____]: that *could* be done later.
19:34:59 [dybskiy_]: npm to manage that?
19:35:04 [Kxepal]: sounds good for me and awesome in perspective (:
19:35:26 [Wohali]: i really resent this idea of node becoming a couch dependency, but that's
an argument for another time
19:35:28 [jan____]: dybskiy_: no npm just yet :)
19:36:05 [jan____]: plugins has nothing to do with node at this point
19:36:18 [dybskiy_]: npm seems to work good to package the plugins and versioning 
19:37:26 [jan____]: dybskiy_: plugins are currenlty binary erlang, packaged by CouchDB version
& erlang version, that is not something NPM is good at
19:37:27 [dybskiy_]: quite a few front-end generators are using it successfully for similar
purpose, being completely unrelated to node
19:37:34 [dybskiy_]: oh I see..
19:37:36 [dybskiy_]: sorry
19:37:49 [jan____]: dybskiy_: I have been chatting with @izs on the side, we both came to
the same conclusion that for this iteration we should stay away from NPM
19:38:00 [jan____]: what I do want to copy though is making it as easy to publish as npm modules
19:40:36 [Kxepal]: probably, that's really right way to let plugins feature evolve iterative
19:40:36 [Kxepal]: but with mind about the future (:
19:40:54 [jan____]: yeah, baby steps
19:41:08 [jan____]: dybskiy_: no need to be sorry, this is all healthy discussion :)
19:42:31 [dybskiy_]: I guess my point of view would be – try to use existing popular and
open eco-system for plugins if that's possible :)
19:42:54 [dybskiy_]: especially if that eco-system uses CouchDB
19:43:31 [jan____]: dybskiy_: yeah :) We’ll see how that pans out in the future :)
19:44:24 [tilgovi]: how much could the npm codebase be repurposed or even just rebranded/redeployed
for couchdb plugins
19:44:46 [tilgovi]: seems like the basic repository features, server-side, are near identical,
and the client side tooling is the only thing that would change
19:45:04 [Wohali]: this discussion has gone quite far afield
19:45:31 [jan____]: tilgovi: again, we package differently than NPM, it doesn’t fit
19:45:46 [tilgovi]: hm
19:45:46 [tilgovi]: okay
19:46:53 [jan____]: tilgovi: we don’t ship sources, and we don’t want to have erlc/ on
the target systems, basically
19:47:02 [jan____]: but yeah, moving on, if no other questions
19:47:09 [tilgovi]: makes sense
19:47:39 [Kxepal]: no more questions from me. let's finish on this note
19:47:53 [jan____]: aye
19:48:01 [Kxepal]: ASFBot: meeting end


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message