couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Docs update
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 13:28:28 GMT

On Aug 5, 2013, at 8:01 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
> MacPorts is a POS. We should completely avoid mentioning it. (Both in the
> binary install section, and in the source install section.)

OMG, the POS is brew not MacPorts. All my system is installed around MacPorts, even Apache
(sure I replaced the default installation, because Apple doesn't update it, and to load an
extension you have to compile from source). I can upgrade all the PHP extensions, even PHP
with a command. Homebrew is a package manager for Ruby tards.
Homebrew simply doesn't offer the same amount of packages you can find on MacPorts.
We can stay all day to discuss which is the best (MacPorts), but we will never reach an agreement
and we don't need. The fact is that you can't tell me a good reason to not mention MacPorts.
MacPorts is the first Mac OS X open source repository and not only should be mentioned, but
it should be mentioned before Homebrew.
I agree, dmg is the first choice for everyone, but if CouchDB is available through MacPorts,
Fink, Homebrew or even Rudix who do not mention them?

-Filippo