couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][PROPOSAL] New release schedule
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 20:15:01 GMT
On 3 July 2013 20:57, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> So that means we have no guarantees of any kind on how long we go
> between feature releases

We didn't anyway. If there were no features ready for a feature release
window, we'd do a patch release. The only thing the release procedure can
ever do is *delay* the release of features.

which also means our shortest possible
> maintenance window for old release might be something like 8-10 weeks?

Not sure what to do about this. Perhaps we support major versions for 12
months. Thoughts?

(There should be no reason to support minor versions.)

I mean, personally I'm fine with this, I always keep up to date with
> the latest release anyway. But what you're proposing here seems like a
> somewhat big deal for those slightly more enterprisey types who like
> themselves some stability, instead of forcing to be upgraded to a
> release with new features (and consequently, new bugs).

Perhaps we're talking cross-wires here, but I don't see this. Do my
comments above clear things up?

--
NS