couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's our Why?
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:06:18 GMT
Benoit,

You should defo watch that video and see what you think. Note that it does
not matter if we are a company. This insight applies to companies,
products, loose groups of people working towards one thing (like the Wright
brothers) and even individuals. (i.e. What is your personal "why" and how
are the things you are doing working towards that.)

I also want to put you at ease by saying that having a single shared "why"
doesn't mean that anybody's vision, or personal goals have to be left by
the wayside. People can still come to the project with their own goals, and
their own perspective. But the project itself should have a clear sense of
what we are trying to accomplish.

I think the "why" we come up with can easily be something that inspires and
is important to the Hoodie peeps, the Kanso peeps, the CouchApp peeps, the
"big data" peeps, the mobile platform peeps. Think about a why that might
evolve out of "your data, everywhere". Who (in our existing communities)
wouldn't love that and want to rally behind that? (But this is just one
idea.)

Asking "what are the core features" misses the point. Why are these core
features? Why did we add them in the first place? What are we working
towards? See, you hit on it in your final sentence: "relax we take care
about your data and the way you exchange and render them wherever they
are". This! This is the kind of thing that I think we should hone, and
figure out, and document.

Once we have that, it can inform our "how". When we're talking about
features, about product direction (i.e. what we add, what we subtract) we
can say "well, how is this related to what we're trying to do here?" Do you
see what I mean? :)

"Painless distributed systems" is also a step in the right direction for
answering the question "why?"

So far we have:

    * Relax
    * Decentralised web
    * Peer-to-peer replication of apps and datasets
    * Your data, everywhere
    * Put the data where you need it
    * We handle your data / you handle display
    * Painless distributed systems

Somewhere in here ^ (and perhaps in a follow up reply) is a single shared
value system. Something we all hold dear.

--
NS