couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Releasing experimental features (was: Re: [PROPOSAL] Port _db_updates from rcouch to master)
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:12:56 GMT
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Big merges: we'll have a lot of "unstable" or not "tested
> extensively in production" API for quite large period of time.

I don't think that's an actual problem. Big merges (that are not
confined to a single or a small set of API endpoints) just shouldn't
be released as experimental.

> - Psyhology: marking something as experimental raises interest from
> hackers and advanced users, regular users will never use these things.
> Unstable badge is not so attractive for hackers, but still regular
> users will try to avoid such API. As the result, API and features will
> not receive good feedback from wide people and this will create

I think that's exactly right. We get something marked as experimental;
hackers and advanced users try it and find bugs, report; if they don't
find bugs anymore, we take away the experimental label, so more people
use it; we can find the rest of the bugs.

Cheers,

Dirkjan