couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Project proposal for ICFOSS
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:29:29 GMT
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Yashin Mehaboobe <yashinm92@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed couchdb on a Linux VPS. I cloned the git repository and
> compiled it from source but I haven't created any databases yet. I've looked
> through the /share/doc/src rst files as well as the sphinx conf.py file. How
> I plan on implementing this is to use the following to gather the changes.
> -The rst files from /share/doc
> -The git commit messages obtained using git-python

I'd personally go with dulwich or pygit2 for this rather than
git-python, since they're implemented as native libraries rather than
wrappers around shelling out to other processes.

> -Information from JIRA tickets by using the python client for the JIRA REST
> API
> I'm thinking of implementing this a separate python script that will be
> integrated with the Makefile in such a way that executing "make changes"
> will execute the script.

I don't think you should worry to much about the Makefile or other
build system integration.

> Once the required data is obtained from the rst files,the JIRA tickets and
> the commit logs, it'll be written as an rst file. This intermediary rst file
> can then be used by sphinx to create HTML.
>
> Here's the path I intend to follow:
> -Create a python script that collects the data from multiple sources and
> compiles it to an intermediary form (rst?)

Output to .rst would probably be nice.

> -Configure sphinx's conf.py so that it takes the rst file and creates an
> HTML output. An alternative would be to use docutils to do the same.
> -Modify the Makefile to call the python script whenever "make changes" is
> executed.

Again, don't worry to much about the integration with build systems or
other stuff. IMO the important things to focus on are:

- Which changesets from the repository to use
- How to extract useful information from the bug tracker
- How to combine those sources into something that's easy to read and polish

Cheers,

Dirkjan