couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What's our Why?
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:48:34 GMT
Anyway, CouchDB is not like apple or dell. This isn't a company. And we
don't have to share all the same vision, but only common values, a core.
I'm not sure it enter in the what you describe. What kind of vision are you
speaking about?

Also I would remove any pro-tip from your mail if we want to start from a
neutral base.

Couchdb is known for the replication but not only. Couchapps and the way
people hack around is another (hoodie, kanso, erica/ couchapp all
differents visions of what is a couchapp but all are using couchdb the
same_.. Message hub is another (nodejistsu, hoodie are using couchdb as a
message hub somehow, not only but a lot of their arch is based on changes).
And now we we can add some kind of big data handling. Not forgetting people
that are using apache couchdb on their mobile, they exists and the patches
will be release.

All have different visions. But they share some common features. I don't
want to forget someone because of a vision of some. I only know that
couchdb has some strong features that could be improved.

All that to say that rather than thinking to a vision, maybe we could
collect all the usages around and see what emerges from it. What are the
core features, What couchdb should focus on and itterrate depending on the
new usage. I guess it's some kind of philosophy: "relax we take care about
your data and the way you exchange and render them wherever they are".

- benoit