couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Docs update
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:38:47 GMT
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Filippo Fadda
<filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:44 AM, Alexander Shorin wrote:
>> That's why installation guides (from sources, using system package
>> manager etc.) have to be in docs.
>
> I'm not telling they shouldn't be there, I'm telling, in the doc, you want find all:
>
> - Mac OS X
>         Download the image (with the link to download)
>         Install using MacPorts
>         Install using Brew
>
> - Linux
>         Install using apt-get (Ubuntu, Debian)
>         Install using yum (CentOS, RedHat, Fedora)
>         Gentoo (someone still use Gentoo? Maybe the same one is using Ruby) :-)
>         etc.
>
> - Windows
>         Download the installation package
>
> - You are a geek? Install from source! (here you can talk about dependencies and all
that stuff)

> I know how to install it, that's not the point. I'm making the devil's advocate. If I'm
a Mac OS X user, there is no way to know that I can install it from MacPorts unless reading
the wiki. Maybe I just read the documentation, and I can't find, in the doc, there is an image
to install it. I want read the manual, I want navigate to the Install section, choose Mac
OS X, and learn all the ways to install it.
> The manual should teach you all, but it doesn't. I read it and I say: oh fuck, all those
steps to install CouchDB on a *nix system?

Fair point, I got it. Thanks!

>> You got the point, but from the opposite side (: Content is moving
>> from wiki to docs in wiki is been deprecated in favour of docs.
>
> And this is good. But when the doc is updated with the wiki content, there is no reason
to keep the same information there.

To keep there - you mean wiki? At this you're also right: once docs be
merged with master, wiki content have to redirect to docs for some
time before fade away.

> Just to be clear, I have nothing against you, I'm just suggesting some improvements because
I think they can make a difference. In my opinion the documentation is fundamental.

No worries, moar critics and ideas! (: Thanks (:

P.S. I also will be glad if you take a look on query server protocol
and say what you think about:
http://kxepal.iriscouch.com/docs/1.3/query-server/protocol.html
As the developer of php query server I believe you have your own view about (;

--