couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releasing experimental features (was: Re: [PROPOSAL] Port _db_updates from rcouch to master)
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:55:44 GMT
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Filippo Fadda
<filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

>> I'm in doubt about X-Couch-Experimental header. If for
>> X-Couch-Deprecated client library __may__ raise some warning about
>> "hey, resource you're requested is deprecated! alarm! alarm!", what
>> the reaction should be for X-Couch-Experimental? There couldn't be any
>> warnings, because I'm explicitly calls some resource - so I'm aware
>> about it existence, know how it works and docs have to aware me about
>> experimental status. Otherwise it makes no sense.
>
> A PHP client library, fox example, could use trigger_error() function to raise a warning
or a notice in case you are calling a deprecated API. I think the way to react depends by
the client implementation, server should just communicate the fact you are calling an API
that is deprecated or experimental.

> I was thinking that, maybe, the client could use an extra header field to call the experimental
APIs. Instead of notify the client that the API is experimental, a user could be forced to
add an extra header to call the API itself. This assure the user knows is calling an experimental
API. But I see a problem here: when the API is no more experimental, the user has to remove
that header, changing the application code.

One more vote for config way to enable experimental features (keeping
them disabled by default): config modification requires server
administrators privileges, so server explicitly knows what
experimental features are enabled on his server and in sure that no
users will use them without his permission and/or additional testing.
If feature was once enabled in config, there is no need to require
additional headers for requests / responses - there should be relaxed
way to work with CouchDB, without any additional contracts to use
something (even experimental) that should just works (:

--