couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb -n vs couchdb -n -a couch.ini
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:02:54 GMT
> CouchDB can’t start without any ini files (which it should, but doesn’t)

this would be problematically because of:
- paths: database, view index and util driver dirs;
- query servers commands;
- explicit http resource handlers and internal services;
- system database names and some other parameters which could be moved
to code as default fallback values;

So it's possible to minimize set of required options in config file,
but it's not possible to have it empty. I think, there are not a lot
software of the same level as CouchDB which is able to run without any
config files.

Just a thoughts...

Ok, http handlers and internal services definition could be also moved
into the source and instead of their explicitly definition in config
files it would be possible to explicitly turn them off or override by
something.

Query servers...if only we had something embed like lua server or
dsl-based, this problem also goes away.

Paths are not easy. Probably there should be possible to pass them via
cli arguments or env variables to keep them portable and less
system-depended.

> So, both the description of -n (that it resets *all* ini files, including the system
defaults) is incorrect as well as CouchDB not starting without default.ini (at least)
> should be a bug

But still, I think it's not a bug, since you're explicitly trying to
override default config chain (/etc/couchdb/default.ini ;
/etc/couchdb/default.d/*.ini ; /etc/couchdb/local.ini ;
/etc/couchdb/local.d/*.ini ) with your own. If your config files
doesn't have required options - CouchDB fails to start. Keep configs
well and it will be run without any problems.

--
,,,^..^,,,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
> To see what happening:
>
> $ couchdb -n -a /tmp/couch.ini -c
> /tmp/couch.ini
>
> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Hm, no, that’s not it.
>>>
>>> Stay tuned for more live debugging. (no seriously, any help would be greatly
appreciated :)

>> it seems like couchdb -n still keeps the system default ini files and couchdb -n
/tmp/couchdb.ini uses only this empty one and CouchDB can’t start without any ini files
(which it should, but doesn’t)

>> So, both the description of -n (that it resets *all* ini files, including the system
defaults) is incorrect as well as CouchDB not starting without default.ini (at least) should
be a bug

>> Jan
>> --

and are not actually used here.)