couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <jason.h.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Persona and BrowserID integration
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 04:13:22 GMT
Thanks, Jim. That is basically my plan. To be clear, I would ship
"outsourced mode" (browserid.org hosted JavaScript and verification)
in a CouchDB release. It's just that I would work to get "tinfoil hat
mode" added in for a subsequent release. Outsourced mode already
exists (modulo a rewrite and unit tests) as a plugin, but I want to
merge it in.

I am not sure if I understand you exactly. Persona is a three-party
protocol between users, relying parties (RPs) and identity providers
(IdPs). I am talking about RP support for CouchDB. AFAIK there is a
bit of mere-mortal cypto to do but it does not require IdP support.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Jim Klo <jim.klo@sri.com> wrote:
> I've been in touch with the Mozilla folks off and on over this.  I've not checked with
them recently on this but at least for the time being, unless your plan is to turn CouchDB
into a full IDP and perform the JOSE/JWT verification that the client generates, you should
not host the bits for BrowserID / Persona inside CouchDB. If the plan is to continue to use
Mozilla as the IDP, where CouchDB is just an RP - you should just link to or cache from Mozilla.

> +1 if someone wants to build a plugin that implements the full BrowserID protocol inside
CouchDB.