couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][PROPOSAL] New release schedule
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 09:50:14 GMT

On Jul 3, 2013, at 21:57 , Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> Yep. One that date we can look at master and see what we have. If we have
>> any features, then we bump the minor version. If we have anything that
>> breaks backwards compatibility, then we bump the major.
>
> So that means we have no guarantees of any kind on how long we go
> between feature releases, which also means our shortest possible
> maintenance window for old release might be something like 8-10 weeks?
>
> I mean, personally I'm fine with this, I always keep up to date with
> the latest release anyway. But what you're proposing here seems like a
> somewhat big deal for those slightly more enterprisey types who like
> themselves some stability, instead of forcing to be upgraded to a
> release with new features (and consequently, new bugs).

We haven’t defined this properly, but we want to designate certain
releases to be Long Term Support (LTS) releases, that are supported
at least for a year, regardless of the N-1 support for regular
releases.

I’d say the last 1.x.y release before 2.0.0 should be our first LTS
release.

* * *

+1 on Noah’s proposal.

Best