couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Docs update
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:51:20 GMT
Hi Alexander,

glad to know about changes, but...

I don't understand why the installation section is so much complicated. You just need a command
to install CouchDB on the most Linux distro or Mac OS X. To understand that, a user have to
read also the "Community installation guides" present in the wiki.
Moreover, I really don't know why I should use brew to install CouchDB on Mac OS X when it's
available through MacPorts. I mean, brew is Ruby and Ruby sucks, like everyone knows. :-)
OK, brew can be an option, but why the main or the only option?

The documentation says: "A high-level guide to Unix-like systems, inc. Mac OS X and Ubuntu."
I really don't see the high level there, in fact it's very detailed, it teaches how-to compile
it. As final user I'm just interested to install it, I don't care about to compile things
from scratch or install dependencies, because probably yum, apt-get or port will do it automatically.

Sincerely, I don't really think is a good idea having a wiki with the same contents of the
manual. Why not just have a good manual and remove that wiki? All the relevant wiki contents
should be assimilated into the manual to improve it and have a single start point.
PHP does have a wiki? MySQL does have a wiki? Why don't merge the wiki with the manual, just
like you are merging BigCouch into CouchDB? :-)
Don't tell me that everyone can contribute to the wiki, because that's not true, you need
credentials to do that, instead everyone can pull a request to modify the manual.

I know you are doing your best, I'm just suggesting a way to improve, IMHO.

Thx

-Filippo