couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Port _db_updates from rcouch to master
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2013 19:19:31 GMT

On Jul 17, 2013, at 22:37 , Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2013, at 22:22 , Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>> A database event is one of `created`, `updated`, `deleted`.
>>>
>>> The API endpoint supports a `?feed=` parameter with the
>>>
>>> A second parameter `timeout=` specifies when the server should
>>> close the connection.
>>>
>>> `longpoll` closes the connection after a single notification.
>>> It is the default option.
>>>
>>> `continuous` keeps a socket open until the specified `timeout`
>>> or 60 seconds by default.
>>>
>>> `eventsource` works like continuous, but sends the data in
>>> EventSource format. See
>>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/
>>
>> What about the heartbeat option?
>
> It’s in the code, I must have forgotten to put it into the commit
> and docs.
>

>>> - only manual testing of the various API differences due to
>>>  complications with asynchronous HTTP requests in the JS
>>>  test suite and total annoyance of overly complicated
>>>  ibrowse/httpc modules for writing etap tests.
>>>
>>> Recommendation to ship this as EXPERIMENTAL until we have tests.
>>
>> Ugh. I would really like to ship at least one basic test. Is it that hard?
>
> I spent a day and a half to get this sorted and got nowhere. Be my guest :)

I thought marking it as EXPERIMENTAL until there are tests is an ok trade-off
about getting this into people’s hands and potentially get a few more bug
reports before we call this stable.

Dirkjan, do you think this is blocking the merge? If not, I’ll get this into
master in time for 1.4.

Thanks!
Jan