couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: Releasing experimental features (was: Re: [PROPOSAL] Port _db_updates from rcouch to master)
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:42:36 GMT

> I'm in doubt about X-Couch-Experimental header. If for
> X-Couch-Deprecated client library __may__ raise some warning about
> "hey, resource you're requested is deprecated! alarm! alarm!", what
> the reaction should be for X-Couch-Experimental? There couldn't be any
> warnings, because I'm explicitly calls some resource - so I'm aware
> about it existence, know how it works and docs have to aware me about
> experimental status. Otherwise it makes no sense.

A PHP client library, fox example, could use trigger_error() function to raise a warning or
a notice in case you are calling a deprecated API. I think the way to react depends by the
client implementation, server should just communicate the fact you are calling an API that
is deprecated or experimental.

I was thinking that, maybe, the client could use an extra header field to call the experimental
APIs. Instead of notify the client that the API is experimental, a user could be forced to
add an extra header to call the API itself. This assure the user knows is calling an experimental
API. But I see a problem here: when the API is no more experimental, the user has to remove
that header, changing the application code.