couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Robert Newson (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (COUCHDB-1838) Specifying public_fields parameter discloses all user docs
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:22:20 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1838?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13691091#comment-13691091
] 

Robert Newson commented on COUCHDB-1838:
----------------------------------------

The docs definitely need updating no matter what. As far as I can tell the 'system security'
stuff is not documented in share/doc/ at all yet. That a new feature changes something in
a previous release's release notes is surely not a problem, and the wiki page should be deleted
once we have docs in share/doc/.

So, let's not attempt quoting old documents as a way to argue about this change, it doesn't
work.

Instead, let's focus on the question that matters: If an administrator enables public_fields,
should users without any public fields appear in _all_docs or _changes? I agree that they
probably shouldn't though that's attenuated by the fact that the default setting doesn't change
the 1.2.0-style security and that enabling public_fields is typically done to expose properties
common to all users anyway (name and probably some site-specific extra properties). The goal
here was to allow users (like the npm registry) to use _users not just as the auth/auth database
but also a public inventory of users. Obviously it would be inappropriate to expose password
hashes in that situation, and the workaround (filtered replication) is pretty silly.

So, yes, if there's a neat patch to omit users with no public fields for _all_docs (and the
same for _changes in COUCHDB-1839) then let's do it, I just wanted to clarify that I think
not doing anything about this is also acceptable. Others might disagree and I invite them
to.

                
> Specifying public_fields parameter discloses all user docs
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: COUCHDB-1838
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1838
>             Project: CouchDB
>          Issue Type: Bug
>            Reporter: Alexander Shorin
>
> When public_fields are specified it's possible to retrieve all available user docs, no
matter does they contains specified public fields or not.
> 0. Setup some users:
> {code}
> curl -X PUT http://localhost:5984/_users/org.couchdb.user:abc -d '{"name":"abc", "roles":[],
"type":"user", "password": "cba"}'  -H "Content-Type: application/json"  
> curl -X PUT http://localhost:5984/_users/org.couchdb.user:def -d '{"name":"def", "roles":[],
"type":"user", "password": "fed"}'  -H "Content-Type: application/json" 
> {code}
> 1. Check the old behavior without public_fields:
> {code}
> curl -v http://abc:cba@localhost:5984/_users/_all_docs
> HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
> Server: CouchDB/1.4.0+build.8d7ab8b (Erlang OTP/R16B)
> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:12:13 GMT
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> Content-Length: 87
> Cache-Control: must-revalidate
> {"error":"forbidden","reason":"Only admins can access _all_docs of system databases."}
> {code}
> 2. Specify some public fields that no one actually has:
> {code}
> curl -X PUT http://localhost:5984/_config/couch_httpd_auth/public_fields -d '"no_user_will_never_has_ziz_field_in_his_doc"'
-H "Content-Type: application/json" --user couch_admin
> {code}
> 3. Try step 1 one more time:
> {code}
> curl -v http://abc:cba@localhost:5984/_users/_all_docs
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> Server: CouchDB/1.4.0+build.8d7ab8b (Erlang OTP/R16B)
> ETag: "55N0CA8VM2Z0DQO85L1PM20XS"
> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:15:05 GMT
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> Cache-Control: must-revalidate
> {"total_rows":6,"offset":0,"rows":[
> {"id":"_design/_auth","key":"_design/_auth","value":{"rev":"1-619db7ba8551c0de3f3a178775509611"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:abc","key":"org.couchdb.user:abc","value":{"rev":"1-64d299987b4df59c048171a8ab8ba951"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:def","key":"org.couchdb.user:def","value":{"rev":"1-479a3e8a66652838706cc49544730a34"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:foo","key":"org.couchdb.user:foo","value":{"rev":"1-3859ee3742314dcb4b4f1ffaba398c91"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:mia","key":"org.couchdb.user:mia","value":{"rev":"1-f87f5003323e705d8c7a533cdd0a267c"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:root","key":"org.couchdb.user:root","value":{"rev":"1-f43dadbe5e780f392a6bd283686b3704"}}
> ]}
> {code}
> Same for anonymous user:
> {code}
> curl -v http://localhost:5984/_users/_all_docs
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> Server: CouchDB/1.4.0+build.8d7ab8b (Erlang OTP/R16B)
> ETag: "55N0CA8VM2Z0DQO85L1PM20XS"
> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 00:04:17 GMT
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> Cache-Control: must-revalidate
> {"total_rows":6,"offset":0,"rows":[
> {"id":"_design/_auth","key":"_design/_auth","value":{"rev":"1-619db7ba8551c0de3f3a178775509611"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:abc","key":"org.couchdb.user:abc","value":{"rev":"1-64d299987b4df59c048171a8ab8ba951"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:def","key":"org.couchdb.user:def","value":{"rev":"1-479a3e8a66652838706cc49544730a34"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:foo","key":"org.couchdb.user:foo","value":{"rev":"1-3859ee3742314dcb4b4f1ffaba398c91"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:mia","key":"org.couchdb.user:mia","value":{"rev":"1-f87f5003323e705d8c7a533cdd0a267c"}},
> {"id":"org.couchdb.user:root","key":"org.couchdb.user:root","value":{"rev":"1-f43dadbe5e780f392a6bd283686b3704"}}
> ]}
> {code}
> The problem is that with specified public_fields it's possible to retrieve all user's
names no matter has their public field or not. This behaviour a bit violates implemented [System
Database Security|https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=commit;h=e5503ff]:
> [CouchDB 1.2.0 release notes|https://blogs.apache.org/couchdb/entry/apache_couchdb_1_2_0]:
> {quote}
> Documents in the _users database can no longer be read by everyone
> Documents in the _users databases can now only be read by the respective authenticated
user and administrators. Before, all docs were world-readable including their password hashes
and salts.
> {quote}
> [Security Features Overview|http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Security_Features_Overview#Authentication%20database]:
> {quote}
> In addition, the _users database is now treated different from other databases:
>     An anonymous user can only create a new document.
>     An authenticated user can only update their own document.
>     A server or database admin can access and update all documents.
>     Only server or database admins can create design documents and access views and _all_docs
and _changes. 
> {quote}
> Expected behaviour when `public_fields` specified:
> `_all_docs` should returns only those user docs, that are actually contains public fields.
Users that has no such fields has nothing to publish. If user doc has public fields it shouldn't
be mentioned in `_all_docs` response.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Mime
View raw message