couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject MetaModel for Apache Incubator (interested in mentoring?)
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 09:17:05 GMT
Hey folks,

I'm going to be mentoring Apache MetaModel in the Incubator, and wondered
if any of you fancy joining me.

MetaModel is a data access framework, providing a common interface for
exploration and querying of different types of datastores. The project
hopes to create strong ties with related Apache projects, including CouchDB.

Proposal thread here:

http://markmail.org/message/el5ouqn2z5ouf2us

Proposal is here:

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MetaModelProposal

The Incubator is the Apache project that takes existing code bases and
bootstraps a community around them, instilling Apache values, and ways to
do releases, and so on. Once the community is able to self-govern, the
project graduates and becomes a top level project. (Much like CouchDB is a
top level project.)

You don't have to be a member of the ASF to mentor projects in the
Incubator. All you have to do is send a note to private@incubator.apache.org,
asking to be added to the IPMC because you'd like to mentor a project.

There's no minimum commitment level. Put in whatever you have time for. Any
sort of help is going to be appreciated. Though, I think it's one of those
things where you get out what you put in.

Speaking from personal experience, mentoring a project in the Incubator is
an immensely rewarding experience. As well as meeting a bunch of people,
you learn a great deal about how to grow successful open source projects.

I thoroughly recommend it to any CouchDB committers. You will come away
from the experience with a lot more confidence about how to work with an
Apache project, and hopefully, a bunch of ideas about how to improve
CouchDB!

Let me know if you have any questions. Private or on-list. Either is fine.

Thanks,

--
NS