couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][REQUEST] Release notes for 1.3.1-rc.2
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:37:04 GMT
On 26 June 2013 22:26, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Noah,
>
> Not sure that I know all details of release process, but since you
> know release day (for instance, 27.06.2013 for 1.3.1) and you have
> process a bit automated, so, probably, it's possible to have
> placeholder in release notes which will be replaced with
> current/specified date when you run `make release X.Y.Z`.
>
> I feel `make release X.Y.Z` does something like:
> - update news,changes, notes, setting release date (current or predefined)
> - creates git tag X.Y.Z
> - makes dist sources
> - publish artefacts
> - sends announce mails / create blog posts etc.
>
> Or if you don't have such magic `make release` command it still
> possible to make manually (but it looks boring and complicated to do
> this always manually).
>
> Anyway, idea is based on the fact that you know the release date
> (planned for some point in nearest future) or it's just current one.

A reasonable compromise might be to put the release note date into the
2 active branches (1.3.x and master for the moment) after the fact.
These will then show up on docs.couchdb.org for example.

Putting a datestamp into `make distcheck` and friends seems like a
good move too.

I'm easy either way.

A+
Dave