couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: R16B01 + Homebrew, Archlinux etc
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:44:29 GMT
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
>>> 3. a stable 1.3.1+R16B-backport fork for homebrew with the same fix as
>>> #2.. I would be ok to maintain that until the next master-based
>>> release if required.
>>> (1696-backport-mochiweb-2-4-2-1.3.x branch again). This would be fine
>>> for homebrew team I think.
>>
>> I don't see how this is very different from #2.
>
> It's on a fork rather than a huge patch, easier to maintain and
> possibly more credible.

Wellll... we can keep the branch around for our maintenance, but it
seems to me like most distros would prefer tarball + patch over some
Git branch. At least that's the way we do it on Gentoo.

>>> Note that the 2.4.2 mochiweb is the *last* release that still supports
>>> < R15B, and it's already at 2.6.0.
>>
>> So can we do 2.6.0 mochiweb for 1.4.0?
>
> Not without ditching < R15B support, which I feel is a step too far
> for most distros.

Ugh. Well, I'd say people who want newer CouchDB can get newer Erlang.
If you can build Couch from scratch, why not do Erlang too? I'm firmly
of the opinion that, if you're on some rock-stable distro, you get
your rock-stable CouchDB. If you want the fresh-faced fun CouchDB, you
can take care of your own fresh-faced intermediate dependencies as
well. But then I might be biased by my nicely source-based distro
thing.

Cheers,

Dirkjan