couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Git workflow
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 08:24:47 GMT
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Garren Smith <garren@apache.org> wrote:
> Bob and Benoit make sense. As long has we define clearly how our commit messages should
be. I must admit as a newish committer I've taken some liberties with my commit messages purely
because I'm not aware of a standard way of doing it.

I'm not concerned with the quality of the messages. I think we mostly
write sane commits.

The problem I had trying to make release notes was not knowing where
to start looking at commits. Without having a stable point in time on
master where I trusted the contents of NEWS and CHANGES I was left to
try to scan the log back to the divergence point of 1.3.x and master,
which git tells me was in November.

I think I could propose some merge conventions, and keep them simple,
that will make it easier to maintain these, but nothing beats just
doing it as we go.

I'm not sure we really need to add tooling here. We just need to write
docs and notes as we go. No?