couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Okstad <poks...@gmail.com>
Subject wiki choice: moinmoin vs confluence
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 18:50:53 GMT
Hello dev team,

I'm following up on a brief discussion I had with the CouchDB twitter
account (my handle: @pokstad) regarding the official ASF wiki for CouchDB.

I'm a CouchDB evangelist in both my personal projects and at my full time
job at a large engineering company (not Atlassian, lol). When I advocate
CouchDB, the main thing that becomes frustrating is the lack of quality
documentation. The CouchDB Guide by J. Chris Anderson was a great
introductory resource, but the current draft version is so out of date that
it's not a great resource to introduce new users to couch IMO.

I believe part of the reason for the lack of documentation is the lack
luster moinmoin wiki.  Obviously, being a huge fan of CouchDB I am a big
proponent for OSS, but I feel that the moinmoin wiki is hurting the CouchDB
community. It's a very unattractive interface and it is difficult to
navigate the wiki. While these concerns may not be huge issues for the
person(s) who chose this wiki, I believe it raises a barrier to entry for
less-technical potential contributors (e.g. myself).

CouchDB is also about a community of developers and users, and Atlassian
has been working very hard on making the current Confluence release more
and more social. I know this sounds like a tired buzzword, but consider
this: Atlassian supports blog entries for users of a wiki space. Right now,
there are many couchdb blog entries scattered about the web on many
different managed sites. What if members of the CouchDB wiki space were
permitted to write blog entries about anything they want? Not just
structured documentation, but also a well designed hub for anything couch
related. This could really unify couchdb articles. Also, the newest
confluence has support for twitter like #hashtags and @mentions that can be
used for tagging articles/pages and alerting users.

Also consider this: Confluence has a Flash/HTML5 plugin that would allow
users to collaborate on architectural drawings to illustrate CouchDB use
cases better.

Anyway, I'm really excited about CouchDB and I really want to contribute to
the global documentation out there, but MoinMoin ain't making it easy. I
really think that a move to a better documentation tool could be a huge
push to CouchDB's adoption. Thanks for listening.

--
Paul Okstad