couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Release clean-up (delete ALL the branches!)
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 18:34:14 GMT
Devs,

We're switching over to time-based releases.

I took a moment to review our existing release branches today, and I have
prepared a list of recommendations for you. Please review these and give me
feedback.

By "drop support" I mean "make official" and while this is ostensibly the
case for a few of these, what I _really_ mean is "delete the branch". I see
no reason to keep this stuff around. It would make my life a lot easier if
we could clean this stuff up.

I'm not a Git expert, so I am relying on someone to sanity check this.
Remember: if we ever want to patch up a security issue in an unsupported
release, we will be issuing a patch. So I am assuming what we'll want to do
is patch against the last tag for that release line. No need for the branch
at all as far as I can tell.

If nobody objects in 72 hours, I will assume lazy consensus and proceed.

## 0.10.x line and before

Really old stuff.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of these release lines
 * Delete the branches

## 0.11.x line

First release: March 2010 (three years old)

Unreleased changes:

  * Fix for frequently edited documents in multi-master deployments being
    duplicated in _changes and _all_docs.

Recommendation:

 * Do not release these changes
 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.0.x line

First release: July 2010 (three years old)

No unreleased changes.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.1.x line

First release: July 2011 (two years old)

No unreleased changes.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.2.x line

First release: April 2012 (one year old)

No unreleased changes.

1.3.x line is backwards compatible with 1.2.x.

Recommendation:

 * Drop support of this release line
 * Delete the branch

## 1.3.x line

First release: April 2013 (one month old)

Unreleased changes:

 * Whatever bugfixes are on master or in branches right now.

Recommendation:

 * Release 1.3.1 this month.

Thanks,

--