couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] dont't abuse of "lazy concensus" on mail tagged [DISCUSS]
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 20:16:03 GMT
On 10 May 2013 20:39, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'd prefer to see [DISCUSS] and [URGENT] used and just be mindful
> that discussion suggests ample allotment of time for discussion. I
> don't believe we need a specific tag for lazy consensus because I
> agree with you that it's the default operating mode.

Randall,

My only issue here is that I think "URGENT" misses the mark also.

There are several community / project-level things that one might want to
do where all you really ought to do is notify dev@ that you're about to do
it. Some examples I can think of:

* Big changes to the website
* Big changes to the wiki
* Changes in stuff like release procedure
* Archiving releases
* Planning marketing activity
* Getting approval for small events
* Getting branding approval

There are plenty more.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm more than happy only using
"DISCUSS" to mean "here's an open ended discussion", but I want a tag that
means "here's something I'm about to do".

I agree that we don't need a specific tag for lazy consensus, simply
because lazy consensus is the default. But if "DISCUSS" is causing some
people to think "oh well, I'll read that next week when I have time" then
it would be handy to be able to explicitly tag a thread with "this is
something that is about to happen, so speak up now". And I don't think
"URGENT" is the right tag. Because archiving a release isn't urgent. But I
 _will_ be moving ahead if I don't hear any objections about it. Do you see
what I mean?

On 10 May 2013 20:45, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what yo mean by-laws here. But I will draft a set of
> rules I have in  mind. Not until next week anyway since I am working
> on some other topics right now.
>
> - benoit

Starting points:

http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html