couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Archive Apache CouchDB 1.2.1
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 12:20:57 GMT
Dave,

See the following thread:

[DISCUSS] Release clean-up (delete ALL the branches!)
http://markmail.org/message/rrz5yl6fig2vnfu5

Specifically, my proposal to drop support for the 1.2.x line for the
following reasons:

 * The 1.2.x line is over a year old
 * The 1.3.x line is upwards compatible

On 23 May 2013 10:30, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:

> But does that mean we only keep the latest version on the mirrors?

Yep.

But... All of the 1.2.x releases are available here:

http://archive.apache.org/dist/couchdb/

What I am proposing we do is that when we drop support* for a release, we
remove it from our active dist dir. The files will always be available in
our archive dist dir, so the releases are still available, should you need
them.

What we want to avoid is people going to our active dist dir, seeing 1.2.2
and thinking "ah, this is a supported release. I'll download and install
it." Because at this point, we don't want people to do that any more. (We
want them do use 1.3.0.)

* When I say "drop support" I mean "we don't backport features or bugfixes
to this line any more".

My apologies if we've already agreed this & it is just sinking into my
> little bear brain today.

No worries. It seems this has caught a few people by surprise. We're
changing a system we've been using for half a decade, so that's to be
expected. :)

> TL;DR does it make sense to keep the n and n-1 active releases on the
> mirrors, or shall I just point people to
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/couchdb/binary/win/1.2.2/  etc? Maybe
> add a link on our website?

Why would we want to keep n-1 active release on the mirrors?

We shouldn't be encouraging anybody to download 1.2.2 any longer, so why
would we want to keep it around?

--
NS