couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] dont't abuse of "lazy concensus" on mail tagged [DISCUSS]
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 16:00:12 GMT
On 9 May 2013 03:59, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, to restate my position, DISCUSS had a suggestion to me that
> something
> warranted discussion. Your recent threads on workflow all were great. We
> should
> circle back and conclude them. When something warrants good discussion,
> it's
> worthwhile to get as much input as we can, and thus it suggests a longer
> window
> would be appropriate to me.

Totally agreed!

I think if anybody had attempted to use lazy consensus on that thread, they
would have been met with a swift objection. So, in many cases, it's a
judgement call. But I think you can be sure that mistakes will be corrected
for.

Also, it's important for us all to remember that everything is reversible
If something doesn't work, or some change gets committed that breaks
CouchDB, we just revert it, or change things back to how they were.

> It sounds to me like you've been caught off-guard because a few decisions
> > have been made and you didn't have time to contribute. I would suggest
> two
> > things. 1) Set up email filters so that DISCUSS, VOTE, NOTICE threads get
> > priority in your inbox. 2) Come up with a list of things you think we
> > should not leave to lazy consensus.
>
> Sounds like we need a well-understood set of these.
>
> If we can just enumerate them all I'd be happy to clean it up and make
> a definitions file.
>
> Noah, is this included in your idea of bylaws, or is this a separate
> document?

Hmm. I guess it would be good to standardise them. Not sure you'd want to
make them a requirement. But perhaps just include them as suggestions. LIke
a set of best practices. Totally open to possibilities here!

--
NS