couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject [REQUEST] [REMINDER] Merge changes for CouchDB 1.3.1
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 19:30:21 GMT
Dear community,

We plan to release CouchDB 1.3.1 this month.

# Tidying up the release branch

To get a list of chnages on 1.3.x since we made the 1.3.0 release, run:

    git log --abbrev-commit --pretty=oneline 1.3.0..1.3.x

Right now, this is showing:

    b03809c docs: improve language, structure in CORS section
    3c0287c docs: fold section on CORS into configuration chapter
    866c8eb docs: move sections on vhosts, URL rewriting into configuration
chapter
    dc55fbb Skip R15B01, R15B, R14B03 for Travis tests.
    ef552f5 docs: update Makefile.am for recent section folding
    13ae34d docs: move section on HTTP proxying into configuration chapter
    cacc3c2 docs: move section on SSL support into configuration chapter
    150a32a docs: move section on OS daemons into configuration chapter
    fe9d094 docs: merge API introduction and actual reference material
    47fc332 docs: move section on HTTP range requests into API chapter
    f31f608 docs: add error handling code to EventSource example
    7acfc5b Fix errors in, improve style of EventSource example code.
    fb6d995 Note the need for allowing CORS for EventSource feeds.
    b6433c2 Fix grammar in EventSource feed type introduction.
    a246d43 docs: fix Sphinx warning
    fe56a84 docs: improve language, consistency in CommonJS section
    c1476e9 docs: improve language, consistency in JS query server section
    e4cfc40 docs: improve language in Erlang query server section.
    24b1e8a Mention CORS support in 1.3.0 changelog.
    06f1a8d Don't log missing '.compact' file when compacting
    7308432 remove bogus NEWS entry
    a1a98c0 Fix bad merge of WARN level logging
    869f42e COUCHDB-1788 - tolerate undefined source/target when reading
_replicator docs
    9d41ea8 Make cardinality of result explicit, remove join hacks
    bd0342d Add entries to NEWS and CHANGES for documentation
    4d939c3 Add 1.3.1 section to NEWS and CHANGES
    5e64395 Stop couchdb test server instance after javascript tests
complete.
    37341af Add return value to waitForSuccess method.
    9838eef Refactor javascript runner script to handle couchdb restarts.
Single interpreter per test.
    0208778 PUT call to database that is not guaranted to exist.
    6bbb1cc Remove setup functions from test runner, only allow a single
test to be run at a time.
    e1bfac2 Added supplementary functions for running tests from command
line.

The CHANGES entry for 1.3.1 is showing:

    *Nothing*

The NEWS entry for 1.3.1 is showing:

    *Nothing*

Please take the time to edit these files so that they reflect the existing
changes on this branch.

# Merging fixes into master

This is also the time to consider whether you have any fixes that could
land in master, and by extension, the 1.3.x branch. If you've been working
on a branch, please review your changes, and merge in anything that seems
appropriate.

You can review your changes against master by running:

    git log --abbrev-commit --pretty=oneline FROM..TO

If you can think of any other command that would help, or any tooling we
might want to make, please let me know. I'd like these emails to make
things as easy as possible for people to just run a few commands and get
the right stuff merged into the right places.

# Merging pull requests and patches

This is also a good time to review an JIRA tickets that have patches that
are just waiting for a committer to apply them. If you are a committer,
please apply the patches and close out the ticket. If you're not a
committer, please alert someone so they can do this for you.

TODO: What is a good URL for a search for tickets like this?

Please also review our pull requests on GitHub:

    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pulls

Specifically, these might be candidates for the release:

    Service stop was not working as pid file was not cleared.
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/59

    Extend documentation on replication
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/58

    [couch_doc] revid_to_str: account for the case when the RevId is a list
of binaries
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/57

    Added RedHat based distribution installation information to docs.
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/50

Not sure if these are features or bugfixes, but highlighting them anyway:

    COUCHDB-259 allow arbitrary data to be stored along attachments
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/54

    COUCHDB-259 allow content_type of attachments to be changed via stub
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/51

# Merging master into the release branch

Because the 1.3.x branch is the most release branch, all changes on master
should be merged into it before we do the release.

TODO: What Git command best shows this? "git log --pretty=oneline
1.3.x..master" produces lost of spurious results. Bob tells me this is
because we've been doing a lot of cherry-picking. I really want to figure
out how we can make this easier to do. Perhaps even something kludgy like a
script that runs this, but greps out known commits that don't count.

TODO: Can someone please figure out what the true diff is (by diff, I
really mean log) and share it with the list, or better yet, just merge it
in. Either way. I'd like to know how to run this off myself in future so I
can send it out with these emails.

Thanks for your help. This is going to be rough the first time we do it.
But these regular releases should be massively beneficial to the project,
and we will get better at them with practice (and automation).

For more information, see:

    http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_Procedure#Timetable

For the release calendar, see:

    http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_Calendar

Per the release procedure, I will start a VOTE thread in one week, so I am
hoping all of the changes have been made by then.

Thanks,

--
NS