couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release clean-up (delete ALL the branches!)
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 16:30:57 GMT
I don't want that either. Let's roll with the punches here and see what
happens. If people ask us what the situation is, we say the recommended
upgrade path is 1.2.2 -> 1.3.x. If we run into problems with that, lets
deal with it at that point. One option is to release actual patches that
you can apply to the 1.2.2 tag. Or we could just do another release.

And yep, I updated that page to better reflect the discussion around the
roadmap process. [1] This moves our support plan to one that is both time
based and centred around major release lines. This works well with semver.
The promise is that every major version is supported (i.e. we add features
and bug fixes) for 12 months. That is easy to understand.

Note also how great this is for our release procedure. Before we've been
running 1.1.x, and 1.2.x at the same time. Not for any particular reason.
Just because. We were doing it even if there were no breaking changes!
Nonsensical. Dale's original email was so great. I can't believe I never
realised this before in the half a decade I've been cutting releases. Heh.

For 1.2.x and older lines, I went through them one by one in the original
email in this thread, to see a) how old they were and b) what the upgrade
path was. Based on that work, 1.1.x is two years old, so I suggested we
drop it. And 1.2.x is both one year old, and has an (though it seems this
isn't as clear cut as we thought) upgrade path to 1.3.x.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Roadmap_Process

--
NS