couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release clean-up (delete ALL the branches!)
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 13:20:01 GMT
This was discussed in the following thread:

"[DISCUSS] Simplify active release branches (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Git
workflow)"

— http://markmail.org/message/5edirnhli43g7lt6

At the start of this thread, I put forward my rationale for dropping
support for 1.2.x (namely, that 1.3.x should be forwards compatible with
1.2.x), and nobody objected.

I've also made an adjustment to the "n + n-1" concept, more inline with
both the Dublin discussion and the points about semver that Dale brought
up, and I added it to the wiki, as previously noted in this thread.

We will support each major version for 12 months. So, if 1.0.0 was released
> on 2010-01-01, then we would add features and fixes to it until 2011-01-01.
> After 12 months have passed, we may continue to release fixes for critical
> security issues, but these will be in the form of actual patches.

Note that the upgrade path for minor versions is to update the latest minor
> version. We will not continue to release patch versions for an old minor
> version. That is, 1.1.0 immediately supersedes 1.0.x, and no more fixes
> will be made on the 1.0.x line. Similarly, 1.2.0 immediately supersedes
> 1.1.x.

— http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CurrentReleases

I appreciate that this is the first time we've done this, so it might be a
little surprising to people. (Though, I believe, this has been the plan for
a good 12 months.) Let's closely monitor the situation, and if any issues
crop up, we deal with them.

On 21 May 2013 10:31, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 21, 2013, at 08:32 , Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought we needed to support n and n-1. Did that change?
>
> It was my impression that that’s what we agreed on, as well.
>
> While 1.2.x -> 1.3.x is the recommended upgrade line, we pledged to
> do bugfixes and security issues for 1.2.x. Especially given that the
> view engine got a bit of a revamp, I could conceive of a situation
> where users wouldn’t want to make the jump to 1.3.x just yet.
>
> In a post 1.3.x strict-semver, we should have less of that, but for
> now I think it is wise to keep 1.2.x up (that said, we can resurrect
> the branch at any time, so we may as well leave it out until needed).
>
> Jan
> --
>

> > - benoît
> > On May 21, 2013 3:43 AM, "Noah Slater" <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Nope. 1.2.x is no longer an actively supported branch. 1.3.x is forwards
> >> compatible, and is the recommended upgrade path for anyone on 1.2.x.

> an

> add

> >> threads.

I'll