couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles
Date Mon, 20 May 2013 21:12:25 GMT
On 20 May 2013 22:55, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm torn on this issue.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Wildcards
>>
>> (Please read that whole section.)
>>
>> Summary is:
>>
>>  * Wildcards make it easy to distribute the wrong files (either too many, or
>> too few)
>>
>>  * Wildcards are not portable
>
> Yes, I understand the concerns. On the other hand, I don't think most
> of those concerns apply cleanly to for example a Sphinx project. In
> particular, Sphinx already complains if src files are either missing
> or unused, so you'll get warnings about that. And Sphinx populates the
> build directory from scratch every time, so problems with the HTML
> output also seem fairly unlikely. On the other hand, forgetting to
> update the file lists in the Makefile.am will have no effect on
> building the docs, but will fail make distcheck. To me, at least, in
> this context, DRY a bigger concern to me.
>
> To be fair, portability is a concern. Dave, does the typical Windows
> build environment already have a find tool available to it? (Either
> just some compiled GNU tools or a full Cygwin environment?)

Today you need cygwin (or msys if you are courageous) to build couchdb, so yes.

>> Please also consider that with Benoit's rcouch merge, we're moving away from
>> Autotools entirely (I believe), so we will have the chance to throw off /
>> simplify a lot of this stuff.

I am very much hoping that post rebar (rcouch / bigcouch changes) it
will be possible to build on windows with just erlang, a c compiler,
and rebar. Oh and git, and those packaging tools.   And that special
stuff for spidermonkey. And icu, and curl, and oh well. My idea is to
provide pre-compiled versions of those and make life easy for
everybody. Especially me.

A+
Dave