couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles
Date Mon, 20 May 2013 20:55:36 GMT
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm torn on this issue.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Wildcards
>
> (Please read that whole section.)
>
> Summary is:
>
>  * Wildcards make it easy to distribute the wrong files (either too many, or
> too few)
>
>  * Wildcards are not portable

Yes, I understand the concerns. On the other hand, I don't think most
of those concerns apply cleanly to for example a Sphinx project. In
particular, Sphinx already complains if src files are either missing
or unused, so you'll get warnings about that. And Sphinx populates the
build directory from scratch every time, so problems with the HTML
output also seem fairly unlikely. On the other hand, forgetting to
update the file lists in the Makefile.am will have no effect on
building the docs, but will fail make distcheck. To me, at least, in
this context, DRY a bigger concern to me.

To be fair, portability is a concern. Dave, does the typical Windows
build environment already have a find tool available to it? (Either
just some compiled GNU tools or a full Cygwin environment?)

> Please also consider that with Benoit's rcouch merge, we're moving away from
> Autotools entirely (I believe), so we will have the chance to throw off /
> simplify a lot of this stuff.

Ah, yes. Do we have a time frame for that?

> What are your thoughts having read that section?

Still the same, in this particular context, for the reasons explained above.

Cheers,

Dirkjan