couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] The Apache CouchDB Project
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 09:32:48 GMT
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> So far.

There are some things here I like, and some I don't like that much.

I like the emphasis on do-ocracy, and the encouragement for
non-committers to just do stuff (and get elected as a committer soon
thereafter). Or, rather more general, I like all the stuff where you
describe opportunities and encouragements and welcoming and shit that
can be done.

<ranting> (with a little hyperbole, maybe)

Then, the document goes off and just undoes all of that by boxing
everything into tags and teams. Those bits make me just want to revert
to my grumpy rant from March's Goals for 2013 thread. This project has
way too few active people working to require this much process (most
of the tags and the teams); it's just process that maybe makes us feel
good, but doesn't actually seem accomplish anything.

Yes, having a short list of people who are interested in specific
areas of the project would be good. But is "[PROPOSAL] Pulling
INSTALL.* into the docs" really a better subject than just "Pulling
INSTALL.* into the docs"? Do we need to carefully delineate every
mailing list thread into something that has a specific timeout rules?

I'll posit that if we were a do-ocracy, if we do apply EAFP (which I'm
all for!), we don't need all of that stuff. We push stuff forward when
we have the chance. When we go a little too far in our enthousiasm, we
generally have ways of reverting without much effort. And it would
still be useful for new contributors to know that, if the docs suck in
some specific area, or if they have an event they want to organize,
there are a few people they should talk to who generally know what's
going on in that area. And we might call those teams. But I don't
think we should get mired too much in delineating Boundaries and
Processes.

And that concludes yet another Grumpy Rant,

Dirkjan