couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages
Date Mon, 27 May 2013 17:14:42 GMT
If people want more than the one line summary, they can get the full
details from the commit message, so I'm not keen on doing extra work
(and commits) to generate redundant information. I'm -1 on adding the
section and jira information into the summary. It's already quite
short and these two items use precious characters. Since they can both
be put in the commit message later, it seems unnecessary to put them
in the summary (what's a summary if it contains every detail of the
commit? :)).

A big part of the motivation here is to avoid any release-time effort
in generating a change log at all since this is administrivia that can
delay releases. The idea being to do it piecemeal as we develop the
software. I'm interested if anyone would find it valuable to include
more than we've included in NEWS/CHANGES to date (and, more
importantly, if those people are prepared to do the work).

A final point, I'm not sure the subsystem breakdown from CHANGES is
all that useful. It's certainly extra work for the author but does
that translate into a benefit for the user? Does anyone need to be
told that "Tolerate missing source and target fields in _replicator
docs" applies to the Replicator subsystem or that "Fix bug in WARN
level logging from 1.3.0" applies to the logging subsystem? It's
clearly redundant to me, and a burden to us. In my opinion someone
needs to make a strong case for continuing with that scheme, rather
than the inverse.

B.