couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Git Commit Messages
Date Mon, 27 May 2013 15:42:34 GMT
Hi All,

Rather than manually maintaining the NEWS and CHANGES files I'd like
to save us time by using the output of git log as our release notes
after 1.3.1.

To make this work we'll need to be better at commit messages. The de
facto standard for git commit messages is described at
http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html
and I would like us all to commit to using these guidelines, with some
clarifications:

1) The last line of the commit should mention the JIRA ticket.
2)  The first line does *not* end with punctuation.

Here's a good, albeit sarcastic, example;

--
Report name of rejected attachment

Some users make requests from inside a black box with a blindfold on
and their eyes closed and are thus sometimes unaware of the names of
their own attachments. Let's help these people.

BugzID: 17669
--

The first line of each log between releases will form the release notes.

I'd like to vote on two questions;

1) That we adopt the git commit message guidelines above.
2) That we delete NEWS/CHANGES from master before the next release after 1.3.1.

The voting rules are lazy consensus with a 72 hour waiting period. You
do not have to vote if you agree, though you are welcome to do so. If
you do vote against I encourage you to include a constructive reason
or suggest an alternative.

B.