couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Ward <ianshw...@gmail.com>
Subject accidentally used same uuid on multiple servers
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 15:24:19 GMT
As discussed w/ rnewson in #couchdb I accidentally used the same
[couchdb] uuid on multiple servers.  This never made it to my
production system because I noticed errors like "Error updating the
target checkpoint document: conflict" in the log, and then noticed
that replication_id was not unique per instance when looking at http
request logs.  I ended up specifying private-ip:port in my script that
triggers replication which leads to the replication_id being unique
for each instance on its peers.

The explanation for how I ended up using the same [couchdb] uuid on
multiple servers is that I use puppet to deploy couchdb servers, and I
manage a copy of local.ini in puppet.  I built couchdb once withouth
puppet to generate the local.ini / default.ini, and then I took copies
of these and put them in puppet.  I overlooked that [couchdb] uuid was
defined in the copy of local.ini.  This copy of local.ini with uuid
defined in it was then getting pushed out to my testing machines,
causing them to all use the same replication_id on their peers.

rnewson asked me to write to the list about the above, in order to
discuss storing uuid in a place where it may be less likely to be
copied in deployment management systems / scripts like Puppet.