couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 08:42:26 GMT
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>> 1) We're all for including the JIRA ticket, for traceability, the
>> question I have is why put that in the summary line?
>
> Because it makes things easier for people trawling through high-level
> commit logs (e.g. me when I start to edit change logs for the release,
> but also non-committer devs following our Github repo etc.).

COUCHDB-* is still in the full commit message.
I think the two of us can devise a merge procedure that will make this
easier to manage for committers.
We also have JIRA, on which people can always subscribe to bugs.

Therefore, I'm with rnewson on wanting the full 50 characters for the summary.

+1 on the message format
+1 on moving CHANGES/NEWS to the docs on master

>> 2) There might be a classification scheme that makes sense but, since
>> we agree the present one doesn't, can we ditch it until someone
>> proposes a better one?
>
> Fine with me.

+1