couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: music database
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 09:13:32 GMT

On 22.05.2013, at 10:52, Pavan Sudheendra <pavan0591@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can store the files (MP3) in a folder on the server, and the path to
> the file in your database.

> You can also save MP3's as binary data, but it
> is very inefficient and really not a good idea.

The second part of this sentence is a false statement.

Storing music as binary data is fairly efficient in CouchDB.

The conventional wisdom of "don't store binaries in your database" comes from traditional
setups where the binary data would live in the database, would get marshalled over the client
protocol to the application server from where it is handed to the web server for delivery,
passing the border of kernel-land to user-land a few times. That *is* inefficient and discouraged.
CouchDB streams binary data to the HTTP socket with just two such context switches and goes
straight to HTTP where you can stream it efficiently to a client, a proxy or a CDN for delivery.

But yes, this question should be moved to user@.

Best,
Jan