couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting rid of file lists in documentation Makefiles
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 16:23:09 GMT

On May 21, 2013, at 17:25 , Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> I think the idea of a "Developer Handbook" is a good one.
> That's separate from a "CouchDB Manual" though.

I’m roughly modelling this after the FreeBSD project which has

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
(this corresponds to our “docs/”)

and

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/

(and a few more).

So they have separate handbooks for this, and I think eventually that
makes sense for us as well, but I thought it was easiest to get started
with the developer handbook as a chapter/section in our docs/ until it
is substantial enough to make into its own.

> For now, let's focus on getting the manual up to scratch, and let's keep
> the handbook stuff on the wiki.
>
> We can re-evaluate the situation later. I'm not married to it. :)

I want to start this asap because we have some thing flying around
elsewhere that would benefit from getting into a definite location.

Note though that Release_Procedure, while totally applicable to a
developer handbook, doesn’t have to migrate today if you prefer that.
If so, I’d suggest we just put a link into the developer handbook that
points to the wiki.

Does that make sense?

Jan